Kevin (Kev) Pittman
Kevin Pittman has been a resident of St. Lawrence for nearly 30 years. In 1983 while on holidays in Labrador City, he was persuaded by his brother-in-law, Bill Tobin to referee his first game. This match was between the Lab City Laurentians and a team called the All-Backs.
When Kev returned to St. Lawrence from Labrador he was convinced by the St. Lawrence Soccer Association to take the Class 3 referees course.
After 8 years of practising and perfecting his trade, in 1991 he was nominated by the Newfoundland Soccer Association as a National Referee. IN 1992, he was appointed as a National Referee by the Canadian Soccer Association and continued to retain his status until he reached the mandatory national retirement age in 1999.
For the past five years he has been appointed as a National Referee Assessor with the Canadian Soccer Association, will complete certification as a National Instructor this spring.
Over his 21 year career as a referee he has participated in:
- 47 provincial championships.
- 4 Newfoundland and Labrador Summer Games.
- 6 Atlantic Championships.
- 3 University Nationals.
- 3 National Challenge Cup and Jubliee Shield Tournaments.
- 15 years of Challenge Cup play where he officiated in the final for 10 consecutive years and was the referee for three of those.
- In fact, Kevin was appointed to 10 national tournaments over his time as a national referee and had the honour of officiating in the final of all ten.
From the beginning he has kept a record of every game, date, score and assignment he has been given. Today, with a total of 1453 soccer games under his belt, he plans to go at it for one more season and hopes to referee in his 1500th game, next summer.
Along the way he also took time to participate as a player, he played goalkeeper for twelve years with the St. Lawrence Masters - Winning 10 consecutive provincial masters championships, several of these coming on penalty shots.
In 2003, Kev was elected as vice-president of the Newfoundland and Labrador Soccer Association.
The St. Lawrence Soccer Hall of Fame welcomes Kevin Pittman.
Kev was nominated by Jim Loder.