Clem Slaney was born in St. Lawrence on March 25, 1911. He was actively involved in the early 50's as the coach of the Lions Inter-Town Soccer Team, from which the original Laurentians team was chosen. During the same period, he was involved in the construction of the first soccer pitch in St. Lawrence and later served as an executive member of the local soccer association.
Throughout the years, he has maintained his enthusiasm and love for the sport. Clem loyally attends games in all centres on the Burin Peninsula and rarely misses a Provincial tournament on any part of the island that involves a Peninsula team.
Clem was recognized for his outstanding contribution to soccer in St. Lawrence in 1979, when he was inducted into the St. Lawrence Soccer Hall of Fame.